Volkswagen Golf 2014: Golf vs Cerato
- Volkswagen Golf
- Kia Cerato
- Kia Cerato 2017
- Volkswagen Golf 2014
- Kia Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Kia Cerato Reviews
- Kia Hatchback Range
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Paul
My daughter wants to buy a 2014 VW Golf 90TSI or a new Kia Cerato. Both are around the same price, so I want some advice as to which would be better to buy. She currently has a 2007 Golf GT that has given her nothing but trouble. Each morning you start it a clinky metallic sounds happens, but when it is warmed up it is fine. She has spent $1500 trying to fix the problem, but it still makes the sound. I am now very wary of VW Golfs.
Answered by CarsGuide15 Dec 2017
You’re right to be wary of the Golf, but apart from the well publicised stories of trouble with the DSG gearbox a few years ago it has been in more recent times a sound vehicle. We get very few complaints from owners of these later cars, so I wouldn’t be concerned about buying one. The Cerato is also a fine car and would be a good choice. If I were forced to choose I would probably gamble on the Golf for its driving dynamics.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- When it comes to oil changes in my VW Golf can you tell me the right type and give me a steer on the procedure?
- Should I buy a 2020 Volkswagen Polo?
- My 2009 Volkswagen Golf is becoming expensive to repair, should I sell it?
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- New vs used
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- P plate legal cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
New vs used
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
P plate legal cars in Australia