My 2009 Volkswagen Golf is becoming expensive to repair, should I sell it?
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Golf 2009
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Hot hatches
Asked by Keith
I have a 2009 TSI Golf with the 1.4-litre turbo/supercharged motor. After doing 136,000kms I have just been told I have a cracked piston. To date the cost of diagnosing the fault has cost me $1100 and the quote to rebuild the engine is another $6300. Do you think it is worth spending the extra $6300 or should I cut my loses now?
Answered by CarsGuide30 Sep 2020
This engine was a great thing to drive with superb fuel economy and plenty of performance. Unfortunately, it was also overly complex and prone to failures like the one yours has experienced. Because the car is so far out of warranty, you can probably forget about Volkswagen helping with the cost of repairs. But I’d still give its customer service department a call and state my case on the basis that 136,000km is hardly the expectation for a modern engine in terms of longevity, along with the fact that this engine has a rich history of failures exactly like yours.
If you can organise to have part of the cost taken car of by VW, then maybe it would be worth repairing the car. Beyond that, however, you’d be spending almost $6500 on a car that, even in working order, is worth something like $8000 or $9000. It doesn’t realty add up at that point, does it? Even then, you might find that other parts of the engine (like the turbocharger or supercharger or the complex system of intake plumbing that allows it all to work) might be next to go bang.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- Should I buy a 2020 Volkswagen Polo?
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Does it need a 'Supplemental Service'?
- Volkswagen Golf 2012: Repair costs
Most viewed in Advice
- Cars that start with E
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Cars that start with G
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with N
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cars that start with D
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Cars that start with E
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Cars that start with G
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with N
Best small cars under $20,000
Cars that start with D