Best options for used first car?
- Toyota Corolla
- Suzuki Swift
- Mazda 2
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Hyundai i20
- Toyota Corolla 2011
- Mazda 2 2012
- Suzuki Swift 2014
- Hyundai I20 2014
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2016
- Hyundai Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Suzuki Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Suzuki Swift Reviews
- Mazda 2 Reviews
- Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews
- Hyundai i20 Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Sedan Range
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
- Suzuki Hatchback Range
- Suzuki Sedan Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Buying tips
- First Car
Asked by Dennis Makaling
We are looking for a used first car for our 18-year-old son. He won't drive many kilometres daily as he's close to university from home. We want something reliable and economical. Our budget is about $10-$12,000. The four cars we were looking at that we saw on this price range were the 2014 Hyundai i20, 2012 Mazda 2, 2014 Suzuki Swift and 2010 Toyota Corolla. Which would you recommend and if there are any others that would be worth looking at?
Answered by CarsGuide10 Jun 2016
The cars you have been looking at are all good, sound and safe ones that have no serious issues to be concerned about and would give you reliable service for many years to come. Note that all of them are from Asia; I would suggest that you rule out anything from Europe. Another to consider would be the Mitsubishi Lancer.
Other Hyundai i20 problems
- Hyundai i20: Key fob replacement
- Hyundai i20 or i30: Which better secondhand buy?
- Best reliable used hatchback on a budget?
- Best first small car under $13k
- i20 condensation in glovebox
- i20 aircon dripping
- Suitable sunscreen for i20
- Best second-hand hatchbacks?
Most viewed in Advice
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor