Hyundai i35 - Did this model ever exist?
- Hyundai i30
- Hyundai ix35
- Hyundai i40
- Hyundai i20
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai i30 Reviews
- Hyundai ix35 Reviews
- Hyundai i40 Reviews
- Hyundai i20 Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Sedan Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Anthony
Did Hyundai ever build an i35? Or am I confused with the ix35?
Answered by CarsGuide21 Apr 2021
The answer is no, but Hyundai's naming policy was very confusing during the 2010s.
The original i30 of 2007 introduced the alphanumerical naming policy and signified a different approach to vehicle engineering, with a European focus with higher-quality engineering rather than a low price to take on class leaders like on the Volkswagen Golf.
Thus 'i' something became a sort of premium nomenclature, and of course is still used to denote this on models like the i30 and Europe's i10 and i20 small cars There was also the German-engineered i40 midsized sedan and wagon until 2018.
But here's where Hyundai muddied its own waters.
In 2010 the larger, American-market Sonata was rebadged i45 for Australia and New Zealand – even though an 'x' and a '5' rather than a '0' meant crossover or SUV, as illustrated by the very popular second-generation Tucson being renamed ix35 in Australia and some other markets from 2009 to 2015 – though this naming policy was abandoned for the third-generation Tucson from 2015. While strikingly styled, there was nothing European about the i45, and it too returned to being badged Sonata from 2015.
So... i10, 120, i30, i40 and i45 for Australia, but no i35.
Other Hyundai i30 problems
- Why is it hard to star my Hyundai i30?
- Should I buy a 2013 Hyundai i30?
- Why is my 2020 Hyundai i30 misfiring?
- Does my 2012 Hyundai i30 petrol need a timing belt change at 100,000km?
- Is there a radiation problem in 2016 Hyundai i30s?
- Hyundai i30 Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Hyundai i30?
- Does the 2.0-litre engine in a 2012 Hyundai i30 have a timing belt or chain?
- How do I stop the brake lights staying on in my 2018 Hyundai i30?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures