Why does the gear stick randomly go into reverse in my 2013 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar
- Nissan Pulsar 2013
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pulsar Reviews
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by John
I have a six-speed manual 2013 Nissan Pulsar. Occasionally the gear stick will not go into reverse although the other gears work well. I took it to a mechanic who has quoted $2200 for a full clutch replacement. This seems a lot considering you can buy the kit for around $500. Do you think this is reasonable?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jul 2020
Changing a clutch in any car is a big job and can easily cost the sort of money you’ve been quoted. And when that car is a front-wheel-drive vehicle, there are a lot of things to remove (like the driveshafts) before the gearbox can be removed and the new clutch fitted.
While I agree that the symptoms you’re reporting do sound like a worn out clutch, I’d like to know what else the mechanic thinks will be wrong. He or she may, for example, be budgeting for the removal and machining of the flywheel as part of the clutch replacement, That can easily add a couple of hundred to the bill. Also, where is the mechanic sourcing the new clutch? You may have found a replacement kit online for the $500 you’re quoting, but is it a quality part from a reputable brand or a no-name piece of rubbish from an internet clearing house?
Other Nissan Pulsar problems
- Why is my car using too much fuel and stalling?
- Why don't the gears shift in my 1996 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar 2005: Why is there a banging sound when I start the car?
- Nissan Pulsar 2002: Why is it revving while the car is idling?
- Nissan Pulsar 2014: Why is my car leaking coolant?
- Nissan Pulsar 1999: What models have the same auto transmission?
- Nissan Pulsar 2004: Stalling problems
- Nissan Pulsar 2013: Why won't it shift into reverse?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers