Why don't the gears shift in my 1996 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar
- Nissan Pulsar 1996
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pulsar Reviews
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
Asked by Buddhika
My 1996 Nissan Pulsar's gears (automatic) are not shifting. It won’t accelerate properly either. What could be the issue?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Aug 2020
If the gearbox won’t shift gears, then the vehicle won’t be able to accelerate any further once the engine has reached its maximum speed in the gear in which it’s stuck. That’s probably (I’m guessing) why the car feels like it won’t go any faster.
There are any number of reasons for an automatic gearbox to remain in one gear and refuse to shift. They start with low transmission fluid and go all the way up to a major internal failure or even a computer-related problem. There’s no real way to diagnose these possibilities remotely, so you really need to get the vehicle to somebody who specialises in automatic transmissions and get them to take a close look and diagnose the problem.
If it’s a major problem with the gearbox, your decision then becomes one of whether the vehicle itself is in good enough condition to warrant spending the money. A major job such as a new transmission and the labour to fit it could easily wind up costing more than the car is worth. Sometimes you’re better off scrapping the vehicle, cutting your losses and moving on to something newer and safer.
Other Nissan Pulsar problems
- I have a 2003 Nissan pulsar ST. How much is it worth?
- Do you think owners of Nissan CVT cars like the Pulsar should create a class action for all the out of pocket repairs on cars doing less than 100,000 km but more than three years old?
- I tried to turn on the white LED lights in my 2016 Nissan Pulsar and they're not working...
- How reliable is the N15 1998 Nissan Pulsar LX 1.6-litre five-speed manual?
- What is my 2001 Nissan Pulsar worth?
- Why is my car using too much fuel and stalling?
- Why does the gear stick randomly go into reverse in my 2013 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar 2005: Why is there a banging sound when I start the car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- P plate legal cars in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
P plate legal cars in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia