Why don't the gears shift in my 1996 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pulsar Reviews
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
Asked by Buddhika
My 1996 Nissan Pulsar's gears (automatic) are not shifting. It won’t accelerate properly either. What could be the issue?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Aug 2020
If the gearbox won’t shift gears, then the vehicle won’t be able to accelerate any further once the engine has reached its maximum speed in the gear in which it’s stuck. That’s probably (I’m guessing) why the car feels like it won’t go any faster.
There are any number of reasons for an automatic gearbox to remain in one gear and refuse to shift. They start with low transmission fluid and go all the way up to a major internal failure or even a computer-related problem. There’s no real way to diagnose these possibilities remotely, so you really need to get the vehicle to somebody who specialises in automatic transmissions and get them to take a close look and diagnose the problem.
If it’s a major problem with the gearbox, your decision then becomes one of whether the vehicle itself is in good enough condition to warrant spending the money. A major job such as a new transmission and the labour to fit it could easily wind up costing more than the car is worth. Sometimes you’re better off scrapping the vehicle, cutting your losses and moving on to something newer and safer.
Other Nissan Pulsar problems
- Why does the gear stick randomly go into reverse in my 2013 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar 2005: Why is there a banging sound when I start the car?
- Nissan Pulsar 2002: Why is it revving while the car is idling?
- Nissan Pulsar 2014: Why is my car leaking coolant?
- Nissan Pulsar 1999: What models have the same auto transmission?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers