Why is my car using too much fuel and stalling?
- Nissan Pulsar
- Nissan Pulsar 2000
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pulsar Reviews
- Nissan Sedan Range
Asked by David
I have a Nissan Pulsar 2000. My car is using too much fuel and stalling when I use my brakes.
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2021
Modern engines rely on a raft of sensors to inform the computer of what’s going on under the bonnet and what needs to be adjusted to keep the thing running smoothly and efficiently. A car that is using too much fuel and stalling could be having a problem with the sensor that tells the on-board computer that the engine is up to operating temperature. A cold engine needs more fuel to run properly so, if the sensor is telling the computer that the engine is still cold, the computer will continue to inject extra fuel into it. Of course, if the engine is up to temperature (regardless of what the sensor says) that extra fuel will show up as increased fuel consumption and could easily make the engine stall or run roughly.
However, that’s just one possibility and with the dozens of sensors dotted around a modern engine, the best advice is to have the car electronically scanned to see what fault codes are thrown up. The good news is that these sensors are usually inexpensive to replace and should return things to spot on pretty much immediately. Other suspects would be oxygen sensors and maybe even the stepper motor which controls the idle speed.
Other Nissan Pulsar problems
- Why don't the gears shift in my 1996 Nissan Pulsar?
- Why does the gear stick randomly go into reverse in my 2013 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar 2005: Why is there a banging sound when I start the car?
- Nissan Pulsar 2002: Why is it revving while the car is idling?
- Nissan Pulsar 2014: Why is my car leaking coolant?
- Nissan Pulsar 1999: What models have the same auto transmission?
- Nissan Pulsar 2004: Stalling problems
- Nissan Pulsar 2013: Why won't it shift into reverse?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers