Why is my car using too much fuel and stalling?
Asked by David
I have a Nissan Pulsar 2000. My car is using too much fuel and stalling when I use my brakes.
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2021
Modern engines rely on a raft of sensors to inform the computer of what’s going on under the bonnet and what needs to be adjusted to keep the thing running smoothly and efficiently. A car that is using too much fuel and stalling could be having a problem with the sensor that tells the on-board computer that the engine is up to operating temperature. A cold engine needs more fuel to run properly so, if the sensor is telling the computer that the engine is still cold, the computer will continue to inject extra fuel into it. Of course, if the engine is up to temperature (regardless of what the sensor says) that extra fuel will show up as increased fuel consumption and could easily make the engine stall or run roughly.
However, that’s just one possibility and with the dozens of sensors dotted around a modern engine, the best advice is to have the car electronically scanned to see what fault codes are thrown up. The good news is that these sensors are usually inexpensive to replace and should return things to spot on pretty much immediately. Other suspects would be oxygen sensors and maybe even the stepper motor which controls the idle speed.
Other Nissan Pulsar problems
- I have a 2003 Nissan pulsar ST. How much is it worth?
- Do you think owners of Nissan CVT cars like the Pulsar should create a class action for all the out of pocket repairs on cars doing less than 100,000 km but more than three years old?
- I tried to turn on the white LED lights in my 2016 Nissan Pulsar and they're not working...
- How reliable is the N15 1998 Nissan Pulsar LX 1.6-litre five-speed manual?
- What is my 2001 Nissan Pulsar worth?
- Why don't the gears shift in my 1996 Nissan Pulsar?
- Why does the gear stick randomly go into reverse in my 2013 Nissan Pulsar?
- Nissan Pulsar 2005: Why is there a banging sound when I start the car?
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about BYD cars
- Five best small cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- The history of old Holden cars in Australia
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about BYD cars
Five best small cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
The history of old Holden cars in Australia
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing