The software in my 2015 Ford Territory is not working.
- Ford Territory
- Ford Territory 2015
- Ford Advice
- Ford Territory Reviews
- Ford SUV Range
Asked by Rosemarie
My 2015 Ford Territory has been having intermittent issues with the software failing and not working, meaning I cannot access any car systems such as phone connectivity, maps, climate control etc. This is particularly irritating in terms of the reversing camera not working. I've been told by Ford that this is not an unknown issue, and that it may cost $1600 to repair.
Should this be something covered under warranty in a five-year-old car? I purchased the vehicle second-hand in 2019. I don't consider a car should need a new computer system within five years of manufacture, especially since I've done all my scheduled services at the Ford dealer, as were all services before I bought it.
Answered by CarsGuide22 Aug 2020
This generation of full-sized Fords was a bit notorious for body computer problems that have symptoms very much like the ones you’ve listed. Essentially, the body computer is responsible for all the communication between the car’s various systems, including air-conditioning, cruise-control, central locking and much, much more. If the computer fails, replacement is usually the only real fix. Sometimes you’ll need to have the ignition key re-coded to the new computer, as well. The price quoted sounds about par for the course form what I’ve heard.
I’m with you that a car that’s only five years old probably shouldn’t need new components like a body computer, but when your car was brand-new, it was covered only by a three-year factory warranty. Ford Australia extended its warranty to five years in 2018 (for cars sold after that date) but that’s of little use to you. Twisting the dealer’s arm probably won’t do much, but have you contacted Ford Australia’s customer service division and stated your case? It might be worth your while.
Other Ford Territory problems
- Why won't my 2005 Ford Territory transmission move forward or reverse?
- Ford Territory Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Ford Territory?
- Why is the transmission in my 2016 Ford Territory intermittently down-shifting?
- Does the 2008 Ford Territory RWD have electric steering?
- Why won't my Ford Territory go into reverse when cold?
- How do I activate the alarm system in my 2012 Ford Territory?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Ford Territory 2010: Variety of electrical issues
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers