Should the warranty on my 2015 Ford Kuga cover the clutch?
Asked by Carl
We have a warranty on our 2015 Ford Kuga that's done 21,000km. The gearbox has gone and we've being told it’s the clutch breaking up that has caused this. According to the warranty the clutch is not covered.
Should a clutch last longer than this? We have only had the car for one year. Should we try to dispute this in your opinion?
Answered by CarsGuide22 Aug 2020
Australian-delivered Fords didn’t get a five-year warranty until May 2018, so I’m assuming the warranty you’re talking about is an aftermarket one sold to you by the dealer when you bought the car a year ago. If so, then there’s very little chance that it will cover a failed clutch (or anything else much, for that matter) as these warranties are notoriously worthless. Disputing the ruling could well be a lost cause as the fine-print in the warranty will doubtless be written to favour the insurer.
However, I fail to see how a failed clutch could cause a manual gearbox to fail, other than if the clutch was slowly dying and you were forced, over a period of time, to be brutal with the gear-shifter to select gears that didn’t want to cooperate. There is the chance that a clutch-pack breaking to pieces inside a dual-clutch transmission could, indeed, cause such a catastrophic failure, but as you haven’t told me what type of gearbox is fitted to your car, it’s a bit hard to say. That said, the Kuga got the wet-clutch version of Ford’s dual-clutch and not the vastly more troublesome dry-clutch Powershift unit. For that reason, the Kuga was not part of the recall that Ford issued for Ecosports, Fiestas and Focusses for transmission failures.
Other Ford Kuga problems
- Are my engine problems covered by warranty?
- Ford Kuga 2014: Power steering assist not working
- Ford Kuga 2014: Accelerator and reverse not working
- Ford Kuga 2013: Automatic transmission problems
- Ford Kuga 2013: Should the differential last longer than five years?
- Toyota Kuga 2014: What's the best car to trade the Titanium for?
- Ford Kuga 2014: Turbo problems
- Ford Kuga 2014: Ford is replacing my unreliable Kuga. How much can I expect?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?