Mitsubishi Lancer 2017: At what impact should airbags deploy?
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2017
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
Asked by Tess
At what impact should airbags deploy in a 2017 Mitsubishi Lancer? Will front airbags deploy with a side impact?
Answered by CarsGuide21 Mar 2020
Air-bags deploy according to what force the crash places on the car. There’s no hard and fast rule to this, because no two crashes are the same. So, the sensors that tell the air-bags to deploy take into account the amount of deceleration involved and compare that with a threshold reading to decide whether to deploy the bags or not.
A car travelling at very low speed that noses into a wire-rope barrier, for instance, may not decelerated sufficiently for the bags to go off. But the same car, travelling at the same low speed that is hit by a moving car coming the other way, is much more likely to deploy its air-bags.
And just because the side air-bags have deployed in a crash, doesn’t necessarily mean the front air-bags will also be deployed. Sometimes the front bags will go off in sympathy with the side air-bags, but if there was not sufficient forward deceleration, the front ones should remain intact.
However, the tule of thumb is this: In Australia, air-bags are designed to deploy at speeds above about 25km/h and, in the case of front air-bags, in any impact within roughly 30 degrees of the car’s direction of travel at the time.
Other Mitsubishi Lancer problems
- Does my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan run a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What can I do about the metallic red paint on my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer peeling?
- Should the thermatic fan run constantly in a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- What is included on the 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer InStyle?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2010: Are there any known problems?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2000: How do I know if my car is sub model or performance?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2005: How much will a cam belt replacement cost?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2002: Does this model have an immobiliser?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Cars that start with E
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Cars that start with E