Why is my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer jumping out of gear?
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2011
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews
- Mitsubishi Hatchback Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Ted
When my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer reaches the speed of 100km/h in fifth gear, the transmission jumps to neutral. Why is this happening?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Jun 2021
It could be that the gearbox linkages are poorly adjusted, meaning that the gearbox is not fully selecting fifth gear, allowing it to jump into neutral. But it could also be that the selectors themselves are worn or that there’s internal wear inside the transmission that is allowing the gearbox to leap from fifth to neutral all on its own. Either way, it’s a problem that could lead to a range of potentially dangerous situations, so it needs further investigation.
It’s probably worth mentioning that a batch of five-speed manual Lancers made between May and June 2014 were recalled to fix a problem with the gear selectors which could see them suffer gear-selection problems with reverse and fifth gear. Your car, as a 2011 model, shouldn’t be affected by that, but it does seem a bit of a coincidence.
Other Mitsubishi Lancer problems
- How do you access the plenum chamber drain in a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- Does my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan run a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What can I do about the metallic red paint on my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer peeling?
- Should the thermatic fan run constantly in a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- What is included on the 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer InStyle?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2010: Are there any known problems?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2017: At what impact should airbags deploy?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2000: How do I know if my car is sub model or performance?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Tesla electric cars in Australia: Everything...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cars that start with E
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Tesla electric cars in Australia: Everything you need to know
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cars that start with E
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with G