How do you access the plenum chamber drain in a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2004
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews
- Mitsubishi Coupe Range
- Mitsubishi Sedan Range
Asked by Peter
How do you access the plenum chamber drain in a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer? I suspect it is blocked.
Answered by CarsGuide27 May 2021
The first sign of a blocked drainage system in a car is usually wet carpets. This, however, is not necessarily the result of a blocked plenum drain, as there are other causes including a blocked air-conditioning drain, a poor door or window seal and even a hole in the firewall between the engine bay and the passenger compartment.
In the case of a simple hole in the firewall, the solution is usually a rubber grommet which will cost a few cents and will sort things. For other leaks, however, you need to take the time to learn where the drain tubes live and ensure that they’re clear and free of mud or dust that could be blocking them, causing them to overflow into the cabin.
The other possibility is that the leak into the car is being caused by a faulty heater core which is allowing the engine’s coolant to escape. That’s a bigger fix as it usually involves removing the dashboard to access the heater core which then needs to be replaced. But if you’re lucky and it’s a simple blocked drain pipe, the drain holes for both the plenum and the air-conditioning drain should be visible on the firewall, below the windscreen. Undoing them and clearing them would be the first step to curing the problem.
Other Mitsubishi Lancer problems
- Why is my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer jumping out of gear?
- Does my 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan run a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What can I do about the metallic red paint on my 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer peeling?
- Should the thermatic fan run constantly in a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer?
- What is included on the 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer InStyle?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2010: Are there any known problems?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2017: At what impact should airbags deploy?
- Mitsubishi Lancer 2000: How do I know if my car is sub model or performance?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- The Eight best Electric utes heading to...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
The Eight best Electric utes heading to Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing