Holden Cruze 2013 or 2010: Are they worth buying?
- Holden Cruze
- Holden Cruze 2010
- Holden Cruze 2013
- Holden Advice
- Holden Cruze Reviews
- Holden Sedan Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Parker
Is it worth buying a 2013 Holden Cruze automatic or the 2010 model? I have heard mixed reviews.
Answered by CarsGuide15 Feb 2020
The big difference between the two Cruzes you’ve nominated is that the earlier car was built in South Korea while, from 2011 on, production moved to Holden’s Australian production facility in Adelaide where it was built alongside the Commodore. There’s a school of thought that suggests the locally-made versions would be of better build quality than the Daewoo-made version, but in reality, there’s not much in it.
That said, we’d go for the later, Australian-made car, as these had a much better range of engines from which to choose. Specifically, the locally-made Cruze could be had with a 1.4 or 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine either of which was smooth and pretty zingy. Or, you could opt for the two-litre turbo-diesel or the non-turbo 1.8-litre petrol as seen in the early, imported Cruze.
The diesel is very frugal and offers a relaxed driving experience, but the two turbo-petrol engines are the pick of the crop for smoothness and performance. The one to avoid? The non-turbo 1.8. It was breathless, noisy and generally unpleasant.
Other Holden Cruze problems
- Holden Cruze Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Holden Cruze?
- Are there any issues with a Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo from 2015 onwards?
- Why did I loose acceleration in my 2012 Holden Cruze even though I still had revs?
- Why won't my 2009 Holden Cruze auto change gears?
- What are the known problems for a 2012 Holden Cruze?
- Is a 2012 Holden Cruze likely to have a faulty gearbox?
- Holden Cruze 2010: Failed transmission
- Holden Cruze 2011: Radio in a constant boot-loop
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers