What's a good first car for a son?
- Holden Commodore
- Ford Falcon
- Ford Laser
- Holden Gemini
- Nissan Skyline
- Ford Escort
- Mazda 626
- Holden Commodore 2005
- Ford Laser 2002
- Nissan Skyline 1990
- Ford Falcon 1987
- Ford Escort 1982
- Holden Gemini 1987
- Mazda 626 2002
- Ford Advice
- Holden Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Ford Falcon Reviews
- Ford Laser Reviews
- Holden Gemini Reviews
- Nissan Skyline Reviews
- Ford Escort Reviews
- Mazda 626 Reviews
- Ford Sedan Range
- Ford Commercial Range
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Commercial Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
- Nissan Commercial Range
- First Car
Asked by Geoff Scard
WHAT would be the best choice of first car for my son, 18, who will have $3000 to spend. He wants a sedan with auto trans and has looked at VK Commodores, Nissan Skyline Executives and Ford Lasers. I prefer rear-wheel-drive, but he turns up his nose at my '87 XF Falcon, which is LPG only and cheap to run. I thought a Gemini, Escort, or Mazda 626 would be an ideal first car.
Answered by CarsGuide22 Sep 2005
WITH $3000, your son shouldn't be choosy. Cast a wider net and search for the best car you can find for the money. It's better to have a car in good condition, though it might not be a cool choice. That might sound boring, but he'll get better service out of a car in tiptop shape than one that might have a better image but is run down.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- I wanted to get your advice on an older cheap car for around $5-7K. Do you have any recommendations?
- Has anyone had an issue with the power steering on the 2012 Holden Equipe?
- What is the difference between the 2017 VF Series 2 Holden Commodore SV6 and SV6 Black Edition?
- Can my 2003 Holden Commodore use ethanol E10 fuel? I usually use Octane 95.
- Why does the engine in my 2002 Holden Commodore stop for no reason?
- The roof lining in my VE Holden Commodore is starting to sag. Is it easy to repair the headliner of a Commodore or will I need to get it completely replaced?
- Are there any known issues with 2010 Holden Commodores?
- Would finding parts or repairs be an issue with a 2014 Holden Commodore?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- New vs used
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five hybrid SUVs in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
New vs used