Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Small Cars
- Green Cars
Asked by Betty
Answered by CarsGuide20 Nov 2020
Toyota’s approach to this matter is interesting. When it comes to the hybrid versions of the new Corolla, the SX variant gets a space-saver spare while the ZR hybrid gets a repair kit. But some of the other petrol-only and entry-level models get a space-saver and a repair kit.
The repair kit will work provided you’re familiar with how to use it and the leak in the tyre isn’t a huge, gaping gash in the sidewall. If that’s the case, you’re snookered. But if it’s just a nail you’ve run over that’s causing the leak, the repair kit will work. Even so, your next destination should be a tyre shop to have the puncture repaired properly.
Space-saver spares are another matter. While they’ll get you going again after a flat tyre, they can make a vehicle very unstable to drive at any speed and over any distance. That’s why they have an 80km-at-80km/h limit applied to them. But as an alternative to walking home, they’re better than nothing. But since some Corollas come with both a space-saver spare and a repair kit, why not lean on the salesperson when doing the deal and asking them to include one of each? Make it a condition of the sale and I bet you’ll get what you want.
The other thing to think about is what you’re likely to do if you get a flat tyre. Are you the sort of person who’s going to change a flat tyre themselves and continue on, or are you the urban-dwelling, roadside-assistance type who will call for back-up? If you’re the latter – and there’s no shame in that - then none of this stuff matters in the first place.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- How do I find a reputable mechanic in my area?
- What used hybrid should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Cars that start with E
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Cars that start with E
Cars that start with G