Is the 2021 Toyota Corolla air conditioning system reliable?
- Toyota Corolla
- Honda Civic
- Honda Civic 2016
- Toyota Corolla 2021
- Honda Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Honda Civic Reviews
- Honda Hatchback Range
- Honda Sedan Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Sam
Does the CVT engine in the 2021 Toyota Corolla cope well with air conditioning? I have a Honda Civic from 2016 and it doesn’t cope well in over-30 degree temperatures. They say the Toyota Corolla has a "better" CVT. Just wondering how that copes with the air conditioning on.
Answered by CarsGuide27 Aug 2021
The CVT you’re referring to is actually the car’s transmission rather than its engine. And since the engine is what drives the air-conditioning compressor, it’s the engine’s power and torque that determines whether the car still drives nicely with the air-conditioning switched on, not whether the transmission is a CVT or any other type.
But I think I know what you are referring to. And that is how well the car’s engine and its CVT transmission are matched. Sometimes, a transmission can gobble up a fair bit of horsepower and torque and that can take the edge off performance. Throw the switch on the air-conditioning and there’s even more load on the engine, making it feel even less perky. In that sense, I think the Corolla as the newer design would have a more efficient transmission and that could mean that it feels the load less than the older Honda might and, therefore, holds on to more of its original performance.
But the second thing you mentioned, that your car’s air-con doesn’t really keep up at temperatures over 30 degrees is more likely to be a problem with the air-con itself. You might find that a five-year-old car (such as your Honda is) is ready for the air-conditioning system to be serviced and perhaps even re-gassed, which might just return it to better health. For the record, Toyota’s have always had some of the best-performing air-conditioning systems in the business over the years, and I very much doubt that a 30-degree day would tax the air-con in a new Corolla one iota.
Other Honda Civic problems
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Honda Civic 2002: Why does it only drive without the petrol cap on?
- Honda Civic 2018: Does this car have Satellite Navigation?
- What sedan is the best value?
- Honda Civic: Key fob replacement
- Honda Civic 1992: Key not turning
- Honda Civic 2000: How much is a GLi worth?
- Which hatchback should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- A guide to converting your old car to...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
A guide to converting your old car to electric
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?