What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Mazda 3
- Toyota Corolla
- Honda Civic
- Suzuki Swift
- Ford Focus
- Toyota C-HR
- Mazda CX-30
- Kia Seltos
- Ford Advice
- Honda Advice
- Kia Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Suzuki Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mazda 3 Reviews
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Honda Civic Reviews
- Suzuki Swift Reviews
- Ford Focus Reviews
- Toyota C-HR Reviews
- Mazda CX-30 Reviews
- Kia Seltos Reviews
- Ford Hatchback Range
- Ford SUV Range
- Honda Hatchback Range
- Honda SUV Range
- Kia Hatchback Range
- Kia SUV Range
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda SUV Range
- Suzuki Hatchback Range
- Suzuki SUV Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Small Cars
- Buying tips
Asked by Mendy
If I wanted to spend $30,000 on a small car to run around town, what would you recommend? And where would I get maximum value for my money? Performance or power is also not an issue.
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
You don't need to spend $30,000 to get a great small car to run around town in. A Suzuki Swift GL Navigator from $17,690 plus on-road costs ($1000 more for the auto) makes for an excellent choice, with a surprisingly roomy interior, a refined, frugal and lively engine, great handling and superb reliability. Great value for money, in other words.
Moving on from there, to the next size up and in our order of preference, are the Mazda 3, Ford Focus Active, Volkswagen Golf, Toyota Corolla Hatch, Honda Civic (turbo only) and Subaru Impreza. All are quality small cars that should fit the bill perfectly.
There's also merit in considering a small SUV, chiefly because their higher roofline and loftier seating positions make them easier to get in and out as well as see out of. Our value pick is the Kia Seltos S with Safety Pack. The Mazda CX-30 and Toyota C-HR are also high-quality and refined choices, though they're right at the cusp of your budget so you may have to search for a discounted demo model. Going small SUV does mean extra outlay, but they do generally offer better resale value, as their popularity seems endless.
As you can see, there's lots of choice, so take your time, drive the ones you like the look of, and see which feels best. Out of scores of alternatives, these 10 are our top recommendations at under $30K.
Other Suzuki Swift problems
- Suzuki Swift 2012: Transmission "slipping" when going up hills
- Suzuki Swift 2008: Can it run on E10 (94) fuel?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Why is my car making noise?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Loud noise while driving
- Suzuki Swift: Replacement key cost
- Which hatchback should I buy?
- Why does my car stop running?
- Suzuki Swift 2013: Should I use insurance to fix my car?
Most viewed in Advice
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Suzuki
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list