Why does my 2018 Nissan X-Trail make a rattle noise when I have my foot on the brake?
- Nissan X-Trail
- Nissan X-Trail 2018
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan X-Trail Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by David
When stopped at traffic lights in Drive and with my foot on the brake, I keep noticing a muted rattle that disappears when I take my foot off the brake in my 2018 Nissan X-Trail. Is it anything to be concerned about?
Answered by CarsGuide22 Oct 2021
It sounds as though something is loose in the transmission and is vibrating (the noise you hear) when the brakes are applied and the load is taken off the transmission. Then, when the brakes are released, the load reapplies to the transmission (as the car begins to creep forward) and whatever is rattling is suddenly under load again and stops making the noise.
This could be down to something in the transmission itself, and if that’s the case, could be a worn torque converter. This is the component that actually turns the engine’s power into a force that drives the transmission and, eventually, the wheels. Inside the torque converter is a series of vanes. If one of these is loose or damaged, a rattle can be the result.
However, before you rush to that conclusion, have a good look under the car. There’s every chance the noise is a simple case of a heat shield, bash-plate or even part of the exhaust system rattling at a particular engine frequency. When you take your foot off the brake and the car starts to move, the engine revs change, the vibration frequency changes at the same time, and whatever it is stops rattling. An internally broken catalytic converter is also a prime suspect for producing a rattle at certain vibration frequencies.
Other Nissan X-Trail problems
- I have a 2016 Nissan X-Trail and wondering what causes a transmission to need replacing?
- Can I tow a 1478kg (ATM) caravan with my Nissan X-Trail 2017 4x4 2.5L Petrol Automatic?
- How much would it cost to convert my 2003 Nissan X-trail to electric?
- What car should I buy to tow a trailer?
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
- My 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2002 is struggling to change gears
- Does the Nissan X-Trail 2019 come in 1.6 diesel with an automatic gearbox?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with S
- Cars that start with D
- Cars that start with K
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Every electric car available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with S
Cars that start with D
Cars that start with K