Toyota Corolla: Warranty Exclusions
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Corolla 2011
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Toyota Sedan Range
Asked by Peter Sorby
After reading your story on warranty exclusions I just had to tell you of my experience with our shiny new Toyota Corolla. At about 300km we noticed a rattle in the front left area of the cabin. We looked everywhere, we unloaded the glove boxes, checked all the storage areas, everything, but found nothing. We then contacted the dealer to book it in for remedial treatment, and was told that it "could be a pencil or something down the vent" and that they would have to take the dash off and we would have to pay for the labour, which would be a minimum of three hours. I was somewhat stunned at this. Here was a brand new car with an obvious fault, which had to be remedied, and I was expected to pay for the fix!! I am still wondering if a confrontation with the dealer, with publicity, would have changed this policy of labour charges, as a new vehicle should be expected to be fault free. I would be interested in your comments on this issue.
Answered by CarsGuide22 Sep 2011
In any case like this you need to make sure it's not somethingsilly, like something rattling round in the ashtray, but having ruled all those possibilities out you would have to conclude that the cause of the rattle is probably a fault from the production line and therefore should be covered by the warranty. I recall trying to find the cause of the fuel starvation in an old car of mine some time ago. I checked everything I could think of, carburetor, fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel lines, only to find after months of trying that it was caused by a scrunched up piece of masking tape the spray painter had kindly dropped into the petrol tank when he'd painted the car. Every so often it would block the pickup in the tank. Asking you to foot the bill is over the top.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- How do I find a reputable mechanic in my area?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?