Skoda Octavia 2000: Why does the engine keep stopping and won't restart?
- Skoda Octavia
- Skoda Advice
- Skoda Octavia Reviews
- Skoda Hatchback Range
- Skoda Sedan Range
Asked by Todor
Occasionally while driving my 2000 Skoda Octavia the engine stop, revs fall to zero, the “no-charge” indication lights up and a piercing sound signals a NOK situation. Consequent attempts to start up the engine see the starter crank, but the engine won’t fire. After some minutes and only when the “heating plugs” indicator appears the engine miraculously starts. Any ideas how to approach?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
On the surface, it sounds like the electrical system is somehow letting you down, Todor. The no-charge light comes on because the engine has stalled and is not driving the alternator, so that’s probably not the root cause here. But only when the glow-plug light appears (which it should every time you turn the ignition on ready to crank the engine) will the engine fire. That’s the clue that whatever glitch is at work here has settled down and is allowing the electrical system to work properly. Of course, a diesel engine doesn’t have a spark (electric) ignition system, so we could be barking completely up the wrong tree here. That said, the modern diesel engine does use a series of electric fuel pumps, and a faulty pump could easily cause the problem you’ve described.
With that in mind, the absolute best advice is to take the car to a workshop with the necessary diagnostic gear and have the car scanned to see what fault codes it coughs up. Until you do that, and can isolate the problem, you can run around in circles for months changing perfectly good components in a costly process of elimination.
Other Skoda Octavia problems
- Skoda Octavia 2016: Error message "reverse gear not available"
- Skoda Octavia RS245: Premium or Sports model?
- Holden Commodore: What's a good replacement?
- Were Skoda petrol models affected by the VW scandal?
- Good choice SUV for travelling
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Skoda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures