Skoda Octavia 2000: Why does the engine keep stopping and won't restart?
Asked by Todor
Occasionally while driving my 2000 Skoda Octavia the engine stop, revs fall to zero, the “no-charge” indication lights up and a piercing sound signals a NOK situation. Consequent attempts to start up the engine see the starter crank, but the engine won’t fire. After some minutes and only when the “heating plugs” indicator appears the engine miraculously starts. Any ideas how to approach?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
On the surface, it sounds like the electrical system is somehow letting you down, Todor. The no-charge light comes on because the engine has stalled and is not driving the alternator, so that’s probably not the root cause here. But only when the glow-plug light appears (which it should every time you turn the ignition on ready to crank the engine) will the engine fire. That’s the clue that whatever glitch is at work here has settled down and is allowing the electrical system to work properly. Of course, a diesel engine doesn’t have a spark (electric) ignition system, so we could be barking completely up the wrong tree here. That said, the modern diesel engine does use a series of electric fuel pumps, and a faulty pump could easily cause the problem you’ve described.
With that in mind, the absolute best advice is to take the car to a workshop with the necessary diagnostic gear and have the car scanned to see what fault codes it coughs up. Until you do that, and can isolate the problem, you can run around in circles for months changing perfectly good components in a costly process of elimination.
Other Skoda Octavia problems
- Skoda Octavia 2016: Error message "reverse gear not available"
- Skoda Octavia RS245: Premium or Sports model?
- Holden Commodore: What's a good replacement?
- Were Skoda petrol models affected by the VW scandal?
- Good choice SUV for travelling
- Skoda Octavia has a serious boot
- Thoughts about long service intervals?
- Availability of spares for Skoda Octavia?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Skoda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cheapest electric car in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia