Is there a law that prohibits a dealership from selling a vehicle without a compliance plate?
- Suzuki Grand Vitara
- Suzuki Grand Vitara 2013
- Suzuki Advice
- Suzuki Grand Vitara Reviews
- Suzuki SUV Range
Asked by David
I bought a 2013 Suzuki Grand Vitara from a used car dealership in Victoria. I brought the car to Queensland and tried to sell it six months later. The buyer noticed that there was no compliance plate on the vehicle and refused to go ahead with the purchase. From my knowledge this greatly reduces the value of the car. The car had a comprehensive car inspection from a RACV accredited inspector and he gave green light for all areas of the car, but I believe he forgot to inspect the compliance plate. All documents (including the RWC done in Qld) have a compliance date on it, but they all differ from each other. The used car dealership has confirmed that the previous owner has the plates. I don't want the car anymore, as I wouldn't have bought it had I known the plates weren't on it and buyers are reluctant to purchase a vehicle without one. It also raises questions as to why it was taken off in the first place. Is there a law or regulation that prohibits a dealership from selling a vehicle without a compliance plate in Vic? Or is it a requirement to disclose this information before the purchase of the vehicle?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Jun 2018
It’s odd that the previous owner has removed the compliance plate from the vehicle. I don’t blame anyone for not buying because it makes the car appear dodgy. I would be getting the plates back from whoever has them and putting back on the car. You could also try talking to the Queensland registration authority to seek their advice on what to do.
Other Suzuki Grand Vitara problems
- Does the 2017 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 have a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What engine coolant should I use in my 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara?
- What is the best for a high school student?
- What 4WD SUV should I buy?
- What is the best car to tow a camper trailer?
- Suzuki Vitara 2019: Driver door won't open with key or remote
- Are there 4WD for sale for up to $3,100 maximum?
- Toyota RAV4: What car is similar?
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Electric car battery recycling explained
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Suzuki
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Electric car battery recycling explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
12 best EVs available in Australia