Hyundai i30: Diesel fuel consumption
Asked by Mark Pearson, Ballajura, WA.
We replaced our 2004 Toyota Corolla with a Hyundai i30 diesel, even though it cost $4000 more than the petrol model. The decision was made partly because of the fuel savings possible with the diesel based on the stated fuel consumption of 4.6 L/100 km, but the very best we have averaged for country driving is about 6.5 L/100 km, which is similar to our 1.8-litre Corolla. The dealer has told me that the fuel economy is excellent and Hyundai allows for a 50 percent variation from the advertised results. The vehicle is currently being advertised as doing more than 1000 km on a tank of diesel, but we get only 700km on long runs. I can only presume there is either something wrong with our car or they advertise incorrect fuel figures. What do you think?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Aug 2011
Hyundai claims an average fuel consumption of 4.7 L/100 km for the i30, with 4.1 L/100 km in extra urban driving and 5.7 L/100 km in urban driving. The fuel consumption figure used by Hyundai, and all other carmakers, is derived from the standard test conducted in a test laboratory, not real life. The purpose of publishing the test result is to provide buyers with a means of comparison between makes and models, it's not really meant to be taken as a real life measure of what you would get yourself. But it shouldn't be too far from the mark either, and I would reckon a 50 per cent variation is too much. More to the point you need to take into account your driving conditions, do you drive in flat or hilly conditions, do you have a lot of stop-start traffic on your way to work, do you mainly do short trips. The consumption you get is on the high side, and you could ask the dealer to check your car to make sure it is running well, but I believe the problem will be environmental.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- Does the Toyota Corolla have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto?
- Is the 2021 Toyota Corolla air conditioning system reliable?
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?