Why is the transmission in my 2016 Ford Territory intermittently down-shifting?
- Ford Territory
- Ford Territory 2016
- Ford Advice
- Ford Territory Reviews
- Ford SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Rodney
The transmission in my 2016 is intermittently violently down-shifting when slowing to a stop. What could the issue be here?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Oct 2020
Some Territories of around this vintage experienced a problem with a dud output-speed sensor within the automatic transmission. The sensor could cause an intermittent fault where the transmission wasn’t telling the rest of the car how fast it was going and, in some cases, could cause the transmission to suddenly shift back to first gear. That sounds a lot like your symptoms. Ford reckons it had this problem fixed by early 2013, well before your car was built, but I reckon it’d still be worth a check of the sensor’s operation via an electronic scan.
The other recurring problem with the Territory’s transmission was when the transmission cooler failed internally and the gearbox oil and the coolant became mixed. That destroyed the gearbox both mechanically and electronically in pretty quick time and if that’s your problem, a rebuilt or replacement transmission is the only fix.
Other Ford Territory problems
- Ford Territory Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Ford Territory?
- Does the 2008 Ford Territory RWD have electric steering?
- Why won't my Ford Territory go into reverse when cold?
- How do I activate the alarm system in my 2012 Ford Territory?
- The software in my 2015 Ford Territory is not working.
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Ford Territory 2010: Variety of electrical issues
- Ford Territory 2013: ICC unit is not working
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?