Why does the fifth gear pop out of my 2007 Ford Ranger when I drive on the highway?
- Ford Ranger
- Ford Ranger 2007
- Ford Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
Asked by Steven
I have a 2007 Ford PJ Ranger and my fifth gear seems to be popping out on me while driving on the highway. I'm wondering if anyone may have an idea why as I don't have the money to get it checked out by a mechanic right now. The vehicle does have a lot of kms on it, having done over 100,000km in the two years I've owned it (over 428,000km in total). Any help would be appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
The problem could be in the gearbox selectors which, as their name suggests, are the mechanical linkages that allow you to select each gear. If the selectors for fifth gear are worn or incorrectly adjusted, you could have a situation where the car is not fully selecting fifth gear, allowing it to pop out of gear when you load the transmission.
The other possibility, of course, is that, at 428,000km (a pretty good innings for one of these vehicles) the actual internal bits of the gearbox are so worn that the thing is jumping out of fifth in protest. If that’s the case, an inspected, second-hand replacement gearbox from a wrecking yard would be the most cost-effective solution.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- What are the known problems for a 2016 Ford Ranger?
- Why is the engine in my 2010 Ford Ranger losing power?
- Why is my 2018 Ford Ranger making a loud crunching noise?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Car hail damage - what you need to know
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Car hail damage - what you need to know
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Best small cars under $20,000