Why did my 2012 Holden Captiva lose power and go into neutral?
Asked by Sue
My 2012 automatic Holden Captiva lost power and went into neutral, I pulled over and had it towed to a garage. I was told when they drained the gearbox oil that it was full of metal and I needed a new transmission. It cost me almost $7000, I've only had the car for 12 months and it only has 64,000km on it. I'm absolutely gutted and feel Holden should cover my cost as it’s a fault in the 2012 models and probably all of them as I have read of so many problems with them?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Jul 2021
Unfortunately, you’re right; this model Holden Captiva has a terrible reputation and failing transmission are right at the top of that list. Holden recognised the problem to an extent and extended the factory cover on the transmission to 150,000km or five years from the date the vehicle entered service. That was up from the three-year/100,000km standard warranty that your car was sold with. But since your car is a 2012 model and has likely been on the road for the last eight or nine years, that’s of very little use to you.
I agree that a car with 64,000km should not need a new transmission and, if it does, the manufacturer should be helping out. But now that Holden as a brand is extinct, even finding somebody to talk to might be a battle. That said, Holden is legally required to stick around to take care of warranty claims, honour its scheduled servicing schemes, provide spare parts and service and attend to any safety recalls. That also means it still has a customer service division which you can reach by phoning 1800 46 465 336. It’s a long shot, but who knows.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- How do I get my 2008 Holden Captiva to burn off the Diesel Particulate Filter?
- What major problems has the Holden Captiva had?
- Where can I purchase a new remote central locking system for my 2009 Holden Captiva?
- Why do all the warning lights on my 2007 Holden Captiva turn on?
- Should I replace the engine in my 2013 Holden Captiva?
- Why is my diesel 2014 Holden Captiva blowing black smoke?
- Is there a problem with the timing chain in my 2016 Holden Captiva?
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia