What oil should I use for my Mazda CX-5 2019?
Asked by Joey
What do you recommend as a top up oil for my 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5 Petrol non-turbo? I was thinking 5W-30. Semi or fully synthetic? Much of a muchness? Oils ain't oils?
Answered by CarsGuide14 Mar 2020
Mazda recommends fully synthetic for its SkyActiv engines and 5W30 is one viscosity that is listed for this engine. It’s also worth noting that the Mazda engine requires oil that conforms to API (American Petroleum Institute) SL, SM or SN. Although these gradings have an American tag, they’re pretty universal in the industry and denote an oil that is up to a certain minimum standard of protection required by car-makers (Mazda included).
But before I bought any oil, I’d contact the workshop or dealership that did the most recent oil change or service and ask what brand and grade of oil was used. That way, you’re not mixing oils. Different oils have different additives, and mixing them can sometimes cancel out the benefits of these additives.
There may be those reading this who will question whether a new car like a 2019 Mazda should be needing top-up oil between oil changes. But it’s a fact of life that even modern, high-tech engines do consume a little oil between services. Modern all-alloy engines are possibly even a little oil-thirstier than their old-school, cast-iron predecessors. A smart car owner still makes a habit of dipping the engine oil every Saturday morning.
I’d also recommend using a quality, brand-name oil rather than the cheaper, supermarket-branded stuff. Oils ain't oils? Definitely not.
Other Mazda CX-5 problems
- What may have caused my Mazda CX-5 to suddenly stall?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What car should I buy now that my Mazda 6 doesn't suit my needs?
- Why does my Mazda CX-5 2013 have an excessive amount of condensation?
- When do new car prices drop?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
- What seven seat SUV should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4