Will the stop/start function damage the turbo in my Mazda CX-5?
Asked by Steven
In relation to the Mazda CX-5 turbo-petrol engine: Does the stop/start function that supposedly saves petrol, damage the turbocharger if it keeps turning off when the engine/turbo are hot? I was always taught to idle a turbo down after a run, not just turn it off.
Answered by CarsGuide10 Mar 2021
The advice to always idle a hot turbocharged engine down was based on a period in time when turbochargers didn’t have the water-cooled bearings they do now. With modern turbos such as the one in your Mazda, the bearing shouldn’t get hot enough to need idling down (cooling gradually while the engine idles, pumping oil through the turbo bearing).
That said, I would imagine that the Mazda’s engine management software incorporates a line of code that will not allow the stop/start function to operate if the engine was at a high enough temperature that anything (turbo included) might be damaged by shutting the engine down suddenly. That same logic also ensures that the stop/start is disabled if the battery is low on charge, if the air-conditioner is running flat out or any other condition exists that requires the engine to be running. If you’re still concerned, you could always disable the stop/start function manually when you come to a stop after a drive and manually idle the engine for a minute or two before shutting it off. I appreciate mechanical sympathy, and so, obviously, do you, Steven.
Other Mazda CX-5 problems
- Which mid-size, diesel SUV should I buy?
- How can I replace a damaged compliance plate?
- What may have caused my Mazda CX-5 to suddenly stall?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What car should I buy now that my Mazda 6 doesn't suit my needs?
- Why does my Mazda CX-5 2013 have an excessive amount of condensation?
- When do new car prices drop?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Tesla electric cars in Australia: Everything...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cars that start with E
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Tesla electric cars in Australia: Everything you need to know
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Cars that start with E
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with G