What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore
- Holden Commodore 1998
- Holden Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Antonella
Answered by CarsGuide25 Nov 2020
Assuming your car is a V6, I’d recommend a quality brand of oil with a viscosity of either 5W30 or 10W40. Provided you buy a quality, known brand, it will have all the additives that make modern multi-grade oils so much better than the oils that went before them. If your car runs on LPG (as many Commodores do) then you need to buy an oil that’s designed for use with this fuel. Fundamentally, though, the same rules apply: Stick to the correct grade and weight of oil and only use a quality brand, not the generic-branded supermarket stuff.
The actual oil capacity for a V6 Commodore of that vintage is 5.3 litres, so if you buy a six-litre pack, you’ll have enough for tops-ups between oil changes. Don’t forget to change the oil filter, too. While some mechanics reckon changing the filter every second oil change is enough, the wisdom of putting nice, clean oil through a dirty filter is beyond me, especially considering an oil filter costs only a few dollars.
Changing your engine’s oil is probably the best engine insurance you can buy. But you need to do it properly, so a workshop manual is probably a good thing to have as well as it should walk your through the process (important the first time). You also need to be able to dispose of the old oil and filter in an environmentally responsible way, too. But this is a great first maintenance job for the budding home mechanic and can really save you some money over the years. Good luck with it.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- Mazda 8 - Could Mazda build a Commodore or Statesman-sized sedan?
- What transmission box do I have in my 2007 Holden Commodore VE?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers