Volvo XC60 2019: Why do I already need new brakes?
Asked by Pina
I have just had the 30,000 km service done on my 2019 Volvo XC60 and the mechanic has told me I need new brakes after just one year. I find that difficult to understand given that I’m on the highway to and from work six or seven days a week, hardly using brakes. The workshop also said that, on a Volvo, you need to change the pads as well as the discs as they cannot just replace the pads. Do you think this is correct?
I have been on the internet and quite a few people have complained about having to change brakes in the first year. I had a Jeep before this for five years and never changed the brake pads once, and I was hardly using the highway back then. I’ve been quoted $1976 for the job. Do you think this is fair?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Apr 2020
This is a pretty common complaint from owners of a lot of European makes and models. To maximise braking performance, a lot of manufacturers (including Volvo) use a relatively hard brake pad and a relatively soft brake rotor. With the result that by the time the brake pads are worn enough to be replaced, so too are the rotors (discs).
However, the general expectation is that a vehicle should be capable of covering about 60,000km before this work needs to be done, so the 30,000km on your car suggests the brakes work harder than perhaps you think they do.
As for the price, I’d assume that to be using genuine Volvo parts. Shopping around and using aftermarket replacement parts could almost halve that quote.
Other Volvo XC60 problems
- Volvo XC60 2014: Leaking clutch seals in automatic transmission
- Volvo XC60 2017: Exccessive brake pad wear
- How to reset maintenance light on Volvo XC60?
- When is the new Volvo XC60 coming out?
- How much can a Volvo XC60 tow?
- How long is a Volvo XC60?
- Is the Volvo XC60 front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?
- Where is the Volvo XC60 made?
Most viewed in Advice
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volvo
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers