Should I buy a Honda Odyssey?
- Honda Odyssey
- Honda Odyssey 2018
- Honda Advice
- Honda Odyssey Reviews
- Honda People mover Range
- People mover
Asked by David
I'm interested in a new (or newish) Honda Odyssey, but the main negative I read of is the lack of power when loaded. Is there a “chip” similar to that used on diesel engines that could be used to give more power, without negating the reliability or warranty?
Answered by CarsGuide25 Jan 2020
The issue of a lack of performance from the Honda’s 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine is one that has been noted in the past, David. It stems not from the fact that it’s a four-cylinder, rather the way it has been tuned and specified at the factory. Like a lot of Honda engines, the engine was designed to deliver good horsepower and high revs and, while that makes for a sporty feel in the right car, it does nothing for the Odyssey’s role as a people-mover.
The root problem here is that the engine is tuned to make its maximum torque (the force that actually accelerates the car) at 4000rpm. Combine that with the odd nature of the standard CVT transmission and you had a recipe for a car that could feel quite lethargic around town. Throw in a full complement of six bodies and their luggage, and things only got worse.
Unfortunately, there’s no real way around this. You could have the engine retuned with an aftermarket chip in the computer, but it may not do very much except increase fuel consumption. At that same time, you could wave goodbye to any remaining factory warranty as it applied to the driveline. Manufacturers don’t like customers tinkering with that stuff and will usually claim that the modifications contributed to the mechanical failure.
All that being said, I have heard of people `chipping’ the Odyssey’s engine. But of all the examples I’ve seen, the net gain was just 11 or 12 or so kiloWatts; not enough to warrant the cost or transform the vehicle in any major way. Even then, I’d imagine the extra power to be high in the rev range, not down low where you want it.
Other Honda Odyssey problems
- Honda Odyssey: Key replacement cost
- Honda Odyssey: Which one should I buy?
- Seven or eight-seater for my family
- Avensis good pick for a family car?
- Best people mover for $15,000?
- Ask Smithy Xtra Shuddering Honda Odyssey
- Odyssey trimming fading away
- Honda Odyssey LPG conversion
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Honda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures