Is a 2012 Holden Cruze likely to have a faulty gearbox?
- Holden Cruze
- Holden Cruze 2012
- Holden Advice
- Holden Cruze Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Juan
I was about to buy a Holden Cruze Equipe automatic (2012) but then I read all the scary reviews about the gearbox being faulty. The one I'm buying is the CDJH MY13 variant. I read most problems are in 2011 and previous versions. Will I have fewer chances to run into a faulty transmission? The car is in great shape and has been well maintained at the official dealer but I don't want to run into a potential headache.
Answered by CarsGuide27 Jun 2020
The six-speed automatic transmission in the Cruze built between 2011 and 2013 was, indeed, a bit suspect in some cases. Unfortunately, that puts the vehicle in question right in the middle of things. Holden instigated a fix which was applied when a car with gearbox dramas was brought in for repairs. Sometimes individual parts of the transmission could be replaced, at other times the transmission was replaced as a whole unit.
Any Cruze with a gearbox that flares during shifts, shudders, refuses to select a particular gear (including reverse) or loss of drive was covered by this special service directive. When fixed, Holden was extending the warranty of the transmission to five years or 150,000km. That won’t help you now, but it would pay to check whether the car you’re looking at has, in fact, had this work carried out. A car with these repairs carried out would be a better choice than one that hasn’t.
Other Holden Cruze problems
- What can I do if the transmission in my 2012 Holden Cruze has failed?
- Holden Cruze Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Holden Cruze?
- Are there any issues with a Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo from 2015 onwards?
- Why did I loose acceleration in my 2012 Holden Cruze even though I still had revs?
- Why won't my 2009 Holden Cruze auto change gears?
- What are the known problems for a 2012 Holden Cruze?
- Holden Cruze 2010: Failed transmission
- Holden Cruze 2011: Radio in a constant boot-loop
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about EV motors
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about EV motors
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia