How is oil mixing with coolant in my 2015 Volkswagen Polo?
- Volkswagen Polo
- Volkswagen Polo 2015
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Polo Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Khanya
The problem with my 2015 Polo is that the water bottle in front where you put anti-freeze or coolant became half-filled with oil. l bought a new water-pump and thermostat, new head gasket, changed the oil, took the cylinder head to an engineer for a light skimming. But then, a day after driving, the new oil got into water bottle again. At first the temperature warning was on and later disappeared, but later the temperature gauge was on normal. Now the temperature gauge is over normal and that oil and anti-freeze is bleeding out of the water bottle.
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
Despite your extensive efforts to fix this problem, it appears you still have a situation where the coolant and oil are mixing. No oil should be able to mix with the coolant (or vice-versa) and if it is (which is why you’re seeing oil in the coolant tank) then you have a fairly major problem somewhere in the engine. Check the dipstick. Is the oil in the sump milky and opaque? I’m guessing it probably is, and that’s another giveaway that your engine has a major problem.
Perhaps the cylinder head itself is cracked. Maybe the engine has a split bore. Perhaps the light skimming the head received was not enough and it’s still warped. Either way, the oil and coolant are mixing and that’s bad. The fact that the oil and coolant in the bottle are being forced out of that tank suggests combustion pressure is also playing a part, once again signalling a leak between the oil, coolant and combustion areas of the engine.
Other Volkswagen Polo problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What can I do about the faulty AEB on my 2018 Volkswagen Polo?
- My new used 2010 Volkswagen Polo already has problems, what should I do?
- Volkswagen Polo 2016: Why is my car reversing when in drive?
- What is the durability and re-sale value of a used car?
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Car won't reverse
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Gearbox failed
- Volkswagen Polo 2014: losing water
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?