Holden Cruze 2010: Failed transmission
- Holden Cruze
- Holden Cruze 2010
- Holden Advice
- Holden Cruze Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Dean
My 2010 Holden Cruze (manual) has done 120,000kms and the transmission has failed today. Is this common for the age of the car? If the cost of a new transmission is $4000 to $5000, is it worth spending the money given how old it is?
Answered by CarsGuide13 Jun 2020
As the vast majority of Holden Cruzes sold were automatics, finding out information on the manual version is not so easy. But I have heard of a few cases of this model suffering transmission faults where the gearbox becomes jammed in gear (and won’t come out) or jammed in neutral (and won’t select a gear).
If that’s the case, then it could be a case of a broken or faulty gear-selector cable or mechanism and may not mean the entire gearbox is toast. Either way, I’d expect more than 120,000km of service in a modern car before the gearbox died. But you haven’t told me the symptoms, so it’s hard to know what’s going on. Is the clutch okay? Is it a case of the driveshaft (rather than the gearbox itself) having failed?
As for replacing the gearbox with a brand-new one, I think that finding a good used unit from a wrecking yard would be a much more wallet-friendly exercise. The exception would be if the problem affected all manual Cruzes, at which point, a second-hand replacement would only be postponing the inevitable for a second time. But since the value of the car wouldn’t be more than the cost of a brand-new transmission, the equation comes down to whether you like the car enough to keep it. Is the rest of the car in good condition? If not, you might be better cutting your losses and finding something newer and with plenty of life left in it.
Other Holden Cruze problems
- What can I do if the transmission in my 2012 Holden Cruze has failed?
- Holden Cruze Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Holden Cruze?
- Are there any issues with a Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo from 2015 onwards?
- Why did I loose acceleration in my 2012 Holden Cruze even though I still had revs?
- Why won't my 2009 Holden Cruze auto change gears?
- What are the known problems for a 2012 Holden Cruze?
- Is a 2012 Holden Cruze likely to have a faulty gearbox?
- Holden Cruze 2011: Radio in a constant boot-loop
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about EV motors
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about EV motors
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia