Does the Skoda Fabia have any known issues?
- Skoda Fabia
- Skoda Fabia 2014
- Skoda Advice
- Skoda Fabia Reviews
- Skoda Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Maree
I am looking for a fuel-efficient used car. I am interested in the Skoda Fabia 2012 to 2014, but I hear they have recurrent electrical problems. I have a friend who owns one and has had no problem. Should I avoid buying due to electrical problems?
My other option is a Subaru XV, which isn't as fuel efficient but seems to have fewer poor reviews.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Mar 2020
As part of the Volkswagen family, Skoda cars suffer from the same reliability cloud hanging over them in terms of transmission and electrical problems. The era of Skoda you’re shopping for was also one of the most problematic for such maladies, too, so just because your friend’s car has been perfect, doesn’t mean the next one will behave the same.
The Subaru XV is generally regarded as a more reliable long-term prospect but you’re right in suspecting that it will use a little more fuel. Depending on what engine the Fabia is fitted with, the official combined fuel consumption can be as low as 5.3 litres per 100km, while the XV’s will be anything from 7.0 litres and up. That’s mainly to do with the Subaru’s all-wheel-drive which makes the car heavier and requires more fuel to overcome the drag and friction of driving twice as many wheels and axles.
The pay-off is in the superb grip offered by the Subaru’s all-wheel-drive which gives it an active safety edge over two-wheel-drive cars on less than perfect surfaces. However, if fuel efficiency is your holy grail, then a Subaru might be a disappointment.
Other Skoda Fabia problems
- What caused my 2013 Skoda Fabia to go into limp-home mode?
- Skoda Fabia 2017: Would it make a good first car?
- Which hatchback should I buy?
- Gearbox problems with a 2017 Skoda Fabia
- Fun and reliable first cars
- Were Skoda petrol models affected by the VW scandal?
- Skoda Fabia auto opinion
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Skoda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers