Does MG's warranty cover the electrics?
Asked by David
Answered by CarsGuide5 May 2021
Not sure where you heard that rumour, but it’s definitely not true. Car makers have to warrant the whole of a brand-new vehicle against any faults caused by either poor workmanship or faulty parts used to create the vehicle. The only way a manufacturer might be able to avoid that is if the vehicle had been modified and that modification could be shown to have caused the fault. An example would be where the car’s owner modified the wiring to add extra lights and had managed to damage the car’s wiring in the process, leading to an electrical failure. The other caveat is that you need to maintain a new vehicle according to the manufacturer’s official schedule. Without this preventative maintenance, a car company can be within its rights to deny a warranty claim. But again, it would need to be shown that the lack of maintenance was the cause of the particular failure.
Perhaps the rumour-mill created this as an incorrect response to the fact that MG in Australia warrants its conventionally-powered cars for seven years/unlimited kilometres while the brand’s hybrid and fully-electric models carry just a five-year/unlimited kilometre warranty. To balance that, MG hybrids and EVs carry an eight-year/160,000km warranty on the actual battery unit.
Other MG problems
- Why does the auto transmission in my 2019 MG GS have a delay on take-off when it's cold?
- What are the pros and cons of a 2018 MG ZS?
- What electric car should I buy?
- Where are MG cars made?
- Who owns MG?
- Who makes MG cars?
- What does MG stand for?
- MG F 1998: Fitting A/C
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers