Why is my 2018 Ford Ranger making a loud crunching noise?
Asked by Sarah
When my 2018 Ford Ranger is off there is a loud tapping or crunching noise coming from within the dash. I did initially worry it may have been a rodent, however it is not. It is very consistent and long term. I have had a look and nothing obvious stands out. What do you think?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Aug 2020
While it might sound like your car is haunted, I have actually come across this problem before and it’s not as rare as you might think. The clicking/tapping noise is actually caused by the actuator motor for the cabin-ventilation’s recirculation flap.
If any dirt or grease contaminates the internal electrical contacts inside the actuator (which is a little electric motor that opens and closes the flap) the actuator cannot electronically detect (or find) its parked position. So, it continues to cycle the flap, searching in vain for the contact that tells it to switch off. That continual cycling is what you can hear.
You can replace the actuator or, if you’re keen and a bit handy, you can remove the actuator from under the dashboard (near the glove-box) take the unit apart and clean the contacts to that it all works properly again. Or take it to a Ford dealership, as a 2018 anger should still be covered by the factory warranty (Ford upgraded the warranty to five years in 2018).
Other Ford Ranger problems
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why does the fifth gear pop out of my 2007 Ford Ranger when I drive on the highway?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- What are the known problems for a 2016 Ford Ranger?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- ZD30 Patrol: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- The best cars from the Fast and the Furious...
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- What demerit points count if you get booked...
- How long do demerit points last?
- Is it illegal to drive without a passenger...
- Australian road signs for dummies
- ANCAP safety ratings explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
ZD30 Patrol: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol ZD30 engine
The best cars from the Fast and the Furious franchise
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
What demerit points count if you get booked in another state?
How long do demerit points last?
Is it illegal to drive without a passenger side mirror?
Australian road signs for dummies
ANCAP safety ratings explained