Why does my 2012 Suzuki Swift struggle going up hills?
- Suzuki Swift
- Suzuki Swift 2012
- Suzuki Advice
- Suzuki Swift Reviews
- Suzuki Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Joel
I have a 2012 Suzuki Swift CVT (K12B) and I am having an issue when going up hills and when accelerating to overtake. It feels like my transmission is slipping. The car begins to jerk or sometimes the rpm meter begins to fluctuate. Can you help with what is causing this?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Oct 2021
This model Swift was recalled to check and tighten, if necessary, the bolts that connect the torque converter to the car’s engine. However, if these were to fail or fall out (as happened in some cases) it would be a one-off event and the car then wouldn’t work at all.
Your problem sounds more like a worn transmission which is not accepting the load you put on it when you try to accelerate. This could be worn bands or some other component inside the transmission. CVTs are pretty complex things and rely on physical parts like bands and pulleys as well as hydraulic bits and pieces to take drive to the wheels. It would also be worth checking the torque converter, as a damaged or worn unit can also produce the symptoms you’re seeing. I’d start with checking that the recall was carried out and work backwards from there.
Other Suzuki Swift problems
- Why has my 2009 Suzuki Swift lost power?
- Suzuki Swift Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Suzuki Swift?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Suzuki Swift 2012: Transmission "slipping" when going up hills
- Suzuki Swift 2008: Can it run on E10 (94) fuel?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Why is my car making noise?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Loud noise while driving
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Suzuki
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Cheapest electric car in Australia