Nissan Pathfinder: Piston failure
- Nissan Navara
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Nissan Navara 1997
- Nissan Pathfinder 2006
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Navara Reviews
- Nissan Pathfinder Reviews
- Nissan Commercial Range
- Nissan SUV Range
- Nissan Ute Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Brian Burns
I've had three 2.5-litre Nissan Navara utes since 1997 - all of which have done over 280,000 km - and I have gotten used to the reliability of Nissan engines. I recently purchased a 2006 2.5-litre diesel Nissan Pathfinder, which had clocked up 140,000 km, with the idea that I could double this kilometrage. But upon taking out the engine, number two piston has a crack in the top, and to put it back in order I will have to replace four pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets and rebore it. An experienced engine-rebuilder told me the piston failure was due to 'over-fueling', which could be traced back to the computer and the air-intake sensor. Now, the sensor itself is either faulty or sending out incorrect signals? A list of new parts comes to $4600 or so. Maybe Nissan would be gracious enough to supply these to me at half the cost, I would be happy to cover the labour charges. What do you think?
Answered by CarsGuide5 Oct 2012
It's possible that they might come to the party and help out with part of the cost of repairs, so you should approach them with a claim. You might find, however, that because the car is six years old, you bought it secondhand so there's no record of its previous use, and it's well out of warranty I think your claim could be rejected.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Nissan Navara 2010: Why is the engine light coming on?
- Nissan Navara 2019: Accelerator failure code
- Nissan Navara 2011: Why does it go into limp mode?
- Nissan Navara 2008: Where is the device for opening the bonnet?
- Nissan Navara 2019: Infotainment system not working since July upgrade
- Nissan Navara 2013: Flat battery
- Nissan Navara 2011: Why is my car losing power?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers