Mitsubishi Pajero 2005: problem with the shift shock
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2005
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Ros
I have a shift shock problem on a 2005 auto 3.2 Mitsubishi Pajero. The diagnostic testing said I had a "gearbox failure". The gearbox, transfer box, and torque converter were replaced, but the problem persists. The newest diagnosis is “torque converter fault". The vehicle seems to brake and slow, and then slams into gear. It is worse from 1st to 2nd and then into 3rd. Not too bad into 4th and 5th. We also had all the diff mountings replaced, as this was a suggested solution, but no such luck. The vehicle has an extreme amount of power and once through the gears drives like a dream. I really don't want to scrap the vehicle, but am at a loss on this one. I can't afford to waste any more money on this problem. I have to get it right this time.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Sep 2018
Take it to a Mitsubishi dealer, or a reputable automatic transmission specialist to have it checked. It could be the computer controlling the auto, but you need a specialist to check it for you.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cars that start with E
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cars that start with E
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing