Mazda BT-50 2013: Does blanking off the EGR valve harm the engine?
- Mazda BT-50
- Mazda BT-50 2013
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
Asked by Brett
Can it harm the engine in my 2013 Mazda BT-50 if I blank off the EGR valve or will it put the motor into limp mode?
Answered by CarsGuide4 May 2020
You’ll almost certainly cause the dashboard to present you with a `check engine’ warning light, Brett, as blocking off the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is an intrinsic part of the vehicle’s emission controls. Having the vehicle go into limp-home mode is a very real possibility as well.
But perhaps more financially damaging would be the consequences of being caught driving the vehicle with a blocked-off EGR. The government takes a very dim view of anybody disabling any part of a car’s emission controls and the fines for doing so can be huge.
However, I know this is a real issue for many owners of modern turbo-diesels. The problem is that soot from the exhaust gas is mixed with oily fumes from the crankcase and then ingested by the engine as part of keeping emissions down. But the mixture of oil and soot can form a black gunge that can block the intake system. Really, though, blocking the EGR is a fairly clumsy way of getting around this. My advice would be to fit an oil separator which should keep the oily mist from the crankcase ventilation out of the equation.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why is my 2019 Mazda BT-50 is losing traction?
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Are the fifth and sixth gears in my 2016 Mazda BT-50 overdrive gears?
- Why does the transmission in my 2017 Mazda BT-50 take so long to engage?
- Why has the transmission light come on in my 2012 Mazda BT-50?
- Is there an allowable tolerance for the fitment of the aluminium tray on my 2020 Mazda BT-50?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?