Kia Sorento 2016: Transmission downshifting
- Kia Sorento
- Kia Sorento 2016
- Kia Advice
- Kia Sorento Reviews
- Kia People mover Range
- Kia SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Jason
I have a 2016 Kia Sorento (3.3L V6 petrol) with 6-speed auto. Earlier in the year the transmission would regularly downshift with harsh 'thumps', making it unpleasant to drive. After a number of tests, Kia replaced the valve body and it fixed the problem. The car then drove without issue for a number of months, but now has started to exhibit the thump downshifts again. Upshifting 1st-2nd can also be harsh at times. The fault is nowhere near as bad as the original problem and drives fine most of the time, but I continue to experience the occasional harsh gearshifts. Interestingly, it usually only occurs when cold. Considering the valve body has already been replaced, could it be related to transmission fluid, or something blocking a port in the valve body?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Oct 2019
It wouldn’t hurt to change the fluid, but it’s more likely to be in the valve body.
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Why does my 2009 Kia Sorento Intermittently go into limp home mode?
- How do you remove a rear door panel on a 2016 Kia Sorento?
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Are caps to stop petrol being used in diesel vehicles reliable?
- Why does my 2017 Kia Sorento randomly lose power?
- Why is my 2013 Kia Sorento making a clunking noise?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch...
- Cars that start with D
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch autos, what's the difference?
Cars that start with D