Why does my 2017 Kia Sorento randomly lose power?
Asked by Richard
Twice over the last 4 months the 2.2l diesel engine in my 2017 Kia Sorento has randomly lost power under acceleration from stationary to about 25km/h and has gone into limp mode. The first time, in September 2020, I stopped the vehicle, turned off the ignition, then restarted engine and the problem was (temporarily) resolved. The second time, in December, the problem repeated and was resolved in same manner. No engine warning light illuminated on either occasion. My mechanic conducted an electronic diagnostic test but could not detect any fault. The car has done almost 20,000km. What could be happening here?
Answered by CarsGuide19 Jan 2021
It sounds like something electronic is randomly playing up and that’s causing the intermittent problem. Modern engines like these use a raft of sensors to keep the on-board computer informed of what’s going on and keep everything running smoothly and efficiently. If just one of those sensors stops working properly, all sorts of havoc can result.
It’s a bit strange that the on-board diagnostics of the vehicle aren’t throwing up a relevant fault code when your mechanic interrogates the computer but, again, some of these modern electronic systems require some pretty specific software. Which means a trip to a Kia dealership might provide a more in-depth answer to what’s going on.
The good news is that since 2014, Kias sold new in Australia have been covered by a seven-year warranty, so your Sorento is well and truly still under that factory cover. Which means it shouldn’t cost you anything to have the problem sorted out by Kia.
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Why does my 2009 Kia Sorento Intermittently go into limp home mode?
- How do you remove a rear door panel on a 2016 Kia Sorento?
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Are caps to stop petrol being used in diesel vehicles reliable?
- Why is my 2013 Kia Sorento making a clunking noise?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia