2009 Nissan Maxima engine light
- Nissan Maxima
- Nissan Maxima 2009
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Maxima Reviews
- Nissan Sedan Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Jo Tanner
Until last month I was very impressed with my 2009 Nissan Maxima 350 Ti, but then the engine light came on and it went into "safe mode" making it impossible to drive over any distance. Since then, I have taken it to three Nissan Service centres, but none could tell me what the problem is. All they tell me was that multiple "error" codes were being found. All are talking big dollars to fix it, although there is no guarantee that can solve the problem. Surely in this day and age, with technology as it is, there must be a way to fix this problem confidently. Has anyone had this complaint?
Answered by CarsGuide25 Apr 2014
The engine warning light was telling you that there is a problem within the engine management system. Going into 'safe', better known as limp home mode, is a fail-safe system that allows you to drive the car, albeit at a much reduced pace, until you can get to a mechanic to have it fixed. The error codes that have been found should assist the mechanics to find the cause of the problem and fix it. There is really no choice, but to press on with the mechanics and trust them to find and fix the cause of the problem. If you doubt their competence then take your car somewhere else. Today's cars are much more complex than cars in the past, and most problems seem to affect the computer systems that effectively control them. They're much harder to fix than the cars of old.
Other Nissan Maxima problems
- Nissan Maxima aftermarket brake pad code
- Aurion to replace my Maxima?
- Mid-90s Maxima still up to scratch?
- Nissan Maxima rattling under load
- Nissan Maxima handling
- Premium Unleaded fuel only
- Nissan Maxima making pinging sound
- Nissan LPG
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia