Nissan Pathfinder diesel auto transmission
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Nissan Pathfinder 2012
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pathfinder Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Ron
I recently purchased a new 2012 Nissan Pathfinder diesel and I'm experiencing the same problem with the automatic transmission that other owners are complaining about. When travelling up an incline the transmission will not downshift from fourth gear and the engine will begin to shudder. I find myself second-guessing when pulling out to pass another vehicle, especially when towing a van. I wrote to Nissan twice without getting a reply, and when finally I rang them I was advised that they have not had any other complaints and that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, but I was advised by the dealer's service department that they get complaints all the time and that it is a computer program problem that can't be fixed. I am not satisfied with the response from Nissan and would appreciate your advice as to what other options I have to try and resolve the problem.
Answered by CarsGuide30 Aug 2013
The problem relates to the lock-up torque converter. We have had a number of similar complaints, probably more with the Navara than the Pathfinder, but the same nonetheless. We contacted Nissan about it and were told, "the automatic transmission lock-up setting has been set to optimise fuel economy. Once the vehicle hits 60 km/h the driver needs to depress the accelerator further in order to activate a step-down in gear. This setting does not cause the vehicle to stall. In short, activating a step-down in gear on an incline above a speed of 60 km/h simply comes down to certain driving styles."
Other Nissan Pathfinder problems
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Failed clutch in 2006 Nissan Pathfinder
- Will a Nissan Pathfinder tow a horse float?
- What's a fuel efficient SUV on the market?
- Toyota Prado: Buying tips
- How to find cars that are easy to get in and out of?
- Replacement options for a 2005 Pathfinder?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?