Holden Captiva 2012: Lost power
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Captiva 2012
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden People mover Range
- Holden SUV Range
- People mover
- Family Car
- Car Servicing
Asked by Julie
My 2012 Holden Captiva lost power whilst on the highway. I had notified my Holden dealer at a previous service that it starts with the sound of a diesel engine – very rough. They said that it hadn’t ‘thrown a code’ so is okay. I missed the next service, but at the last service said that it now requires a major fix because of this same problem. They say it’s because I missed the previous service that would have identified this – even though I specifically mentioned this to them earlier. I am concerned that this is a major manufacturing problem, and not service related. It is a major safety risk now and requires thousands of dollars to rectify. Any advice is welcome.
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2019
Never let things slide if you feel your car has a problem. Pursue a solution until you are satisfied you have the answer. It’s not a good idea to miss services, particularly on cars with turbochargers. Keeping a fresh supply of oil is the key to trouble-free motoring with turbos. There’s every chance the turbo was faulty when you first noticed it, and having missed a service you probably contributed to the failure. There’s probably not a lot you can do, except to pay for the repairs.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I replace the engine in my 2013 Holden Captiva?
- Why is my diesel 2014 Holden Captiva blowing black smoke?
- Is there a problem with the timing chain in my 2016 Holden Captiva?
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
Most viewed in Advice
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- How to find the right canopy for your HiLux
- Satellite Phone: 5 best sat phones reviewed
- 14 best cars for towing a trailer
- Electric car battery warranties explained
- How to remove scratches from your car
- Ultimate accessory guide for the Toyota HiLux
- What demerit points count if you get booked...
- Best safe car buys for P-platers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
How to find the right canopy for your HiLux
Satellite Phone: 5 best sat phones reviewed
14 best cars for towing a trailer
Electric car battery warranties explained
How to remove scratches from your car
Ultimate accessory guide for the Toyota HiLux
What demerit points count if you get booked in another state?
Best safe car buys for P-platers