Hyundai i40 Diesel Engine Problems
Asked by Kerry
Answered by CarsGuide11 Dec 2020
The Hyundai i40 has a great reputation in the trade for being a solid, dependable car with few inherent problems. In fact, it’s one of the models that has recently helped forge Hyundai’s overall reputation as a safe bet. The brand’s five-year warranty hasn’t hurt it in that regard, either.
In terms of Hyundai i40 diesel engine problems, the news is good. And that’s largely because Hyundai has been building small capacity passenger-car diesel engines for decades and has the technology all worked out.
But there are a few things to watch out for and those include the propensity of modern, common-rail injected diesels to require plenty of preventative maintenance. If injectors, pumps and filters are not looked after, they can all give trouble down the road and fixing common-rail injection is generally not a cheap pursuit. So make sure any second-hand i40 (petrol or diesel) has a fully stamped service book and that no preventative maintenance has been skipped.
The other thing worth mentioning is that unless you plan to do at least some highway driving, then the turbo-diesel – as nice as it is to drive – may not be your best bet. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) fitted to modern diesels needs a good run at a decent speed every few weeks to ensure that it can regenerate properly. If it doesn’t see this sort of running, it can become blocked and, in a worst-case scenario, require replacement. This is by no means a Hyundai-specific problem and many modern diesels with DPF technology carry the same caveat.
The bottom line is that even though the diesel version of the i40 may squeeze more out of each litre of fuel, it’s not necessarily the cheapest-to-own variant in the long run.
Other Hyundai problems
- What is the rubbing noise behind the wheel of my 2019 Hyundai Kona?
- What is the grating noise behind the wheel of my 2018 Hyundai Kona?
- Does the 2021 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV have sufficient power for overtaking on long drive?
- Hyundai i30 Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Hyundai i30?
- Hyundai Tucson Petrol vs Diesel
- Which small SUV should I buy to replace my Hyundai Tucson?
- Which used seven-seater should I buy for 15-20k?
- What are the towing specs of a 2013 Hyundai iX35?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list