What's a good mid-sized wagon to buy?
- Holden Commodore
- Ford Mondeo
- Hyundai i40
- Volkswagen Passat
- Ford Mondeo 2015
- Volkswagen Passat 2015
- Holden Commodore 2015
- Hyundai I40 2015
- Ford Advice
- Holden Advice
- Hyundai Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Ford Mondeo Reviews
- Hyundai i40 Reviews
- Volkswagen Passat Reviews
- Ford Wagon Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Hyundai Wagon Range
- Volkswagen Wagon Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Nick
We are looking at purchasing a mid-sized wagon preferably a diesel automatic. I have read about the clutch issues with the Ford Mondeo, although I read the Zetec models were different to the dual-clutch system. How do we know if the clutch had problems previously? We are looking at possibly a Holden Commodore, Hyundai i40 or VW Passat as well, all between 2012-2015. I would be interested in your thoughts, or is it safer to just avoid the Mondeo all together? Our budget is between $15-20,000.
Answered by CarsGuide29 Jun 2018
You’re buying a used car, it’s not new, so you have to expect some wear-and-tear issues. The older the car, the greater the wear-and-tear, and the more likely it is to have suffered mechanical failures or even a crash. That means you have to thoroughly check the car before purchase, and you have to rely on the honesty of the vendor. If the car has had clutch problems it should be recorded in the service book. It’s the same with the others you’re looking at, check them thoroughly, and if you’re uncertain have an expert check them for you. Of the three others you are considering I would avoid the Passat as a potential money pit, and go for the i40 in preference to the Commodore.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- Mazda 8 - Could Mazda build a Commodore or Statesman-sized sedan?
- What transmission box do I have in my 2007 Holden Commodore VE?
- What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers