Why does my 2013 Ford Mondeo wagon only shift gears properly in manual mode?
Asked by Peter
Answered by CarsGuide16 Sep 2020
This is a bit of a weird one because the only difference between using manual mode and fully-automatic mode is that you tell the gearbox what gear to be in in the former, and the gearbox decides for itself in the latter. Beyond that, the exact same process is going on inside the transmission. Which means, I’d expect the same problems to be apparent regardless of what mode you were driving in.
Your gearbox is doing what’s known as `slipping’ or `flaring’ and that can be caused by a number of things. Those include low transmission-fluid level, low fluid-pressure caused by a worn pump or accumulators, a damaged torque converter or worn out bands and clutches inside the gearbox. The low fluid level is easy to check and address, but anything else probably points to either a new gearbox of a rebuild of the current one.
The wild card is the difference behaviour between auto and manual mode, so perhaps it’s a problem with the electronic solenoids that control the shifts. It could be that the gearbox is not shifting properly in automatic and will only behave when you prod it via the manual-shift mode. A scan at a workshop might give a few clues in this regard.
Other Ford Mondeo problems
- Why does my 2009 Ford Mondeo keep going into limp mode?
- Ford Mondeo 2011: Any known problems with PowerShift transmission?
- Ford Mondeo 2016: Difference between Titanium and a Trend hatchback?
- Which Ford Fusion is the best?
- Where is the Ford Fusion made and when was the first one built?
- What's a good mid-sized wagon to buy?
- My 2010 Ford Mondeo is having problems, what should I do with it?
- Is $250 for an '09 Ford Mondeo electric fuel pump too much?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers