First car for 22 year old
- Mazda 3
- Mazda 2
- Toyota Yaris
- Mazda 3 2009
- Mazda 2 2008
- Mazda 3 2008
- Toyota Yaris 2008
- Mazda 2 2009
- Toyota Yaris 2009
- Mazda Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mazda 3 Reviews
- Mazda 2 Reviews
- Toyota Yaris Reviews
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- First Car
- Small Cars
Asked by Madelyn Keely
I am 22 and looking to buy my first car. I was thinking of a small city sized auto hatch – perhaps a Toyota Yaris or a Mazda2, or a later model Mazda3. I'm looking for modern features and something that will be good enough on the highway back to my hometown in the country. I'm looking to buy a used car for about $10,000. What car should I buy?
Answered by CarsGuide7 Nov 2014
Most modern cars would be perfectly fine for your country commuting, that's not really an issue like it was in the past where it was felt you needed a six-cylinder car at least to handle the long distance, higher-speed cruising. Smaller cars like the Yaris or Mazda2 are perfect for city use; they're small, manoeuvrable, easy to park, safe and cheap to run. A larger car, like the Mazda3 would be a little more comfortable for a longer journey. It would also have better performance, but being larger is a little more difficult to park, and would cost more to run. For your money you could get a 2008/2009 Mazda3, which would also be a good buy. For mine, I would go for the smaller car, the Yaris or the Mazda2.
Other Toyota Yaris problems
- What cars with high seats and a big boot do you recommend?
- Toyota Yaris 2011 and Honda Jazz 2005: Engine longevity
- Toyota Yaris: Is it suitable for off-road driving?
- Toyota Yaris 2006: Doors will not open
- Toyota Yaris 2008: Why aren't my brake lights working?
- What is the cheapest Toyota?
- Toyota Yaris: Key replacement
- Which small hatch should I buy for $15,000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained