Toyota Yaris 2006: Doors will not open
- Toyota Yaris
- Toyota Yaris 2006
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Yaris Reviews
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Donn
The rear passenger side door on my 2006 Toyota Yaris will not open either from inside or outside the vehicle. I have tried both electronic key and manual opening of doors including the internal unlocking button. What can I do?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2020
It sounds like part of the mechanism that operates the door latch has broken or melted or fallen off or in some other way failed. I’m not sure about the specifics of the rear doors on a 2006 Yaris, but the solution is to get inside the door and operate the latch mechanically to open the door. But that can be easier said than done.
If you can lower the window in that door, you might find a locksmith or specialist safe-breaker who can use a hook to manipulate the latch. But in many cases, the only solution is to remove the interior door trim to get at the broken mechanism. The problem there, of course, is that the door trim will be hard up against the door jamb and the rubber deals, so removing it can be a huge problem.
In some cases, you’ll be able to remove/lift one corner of the door trim to gain access, but I can’t guarantee that the trim won’t be damaged in this operation. Once it’s damaged, of course, all bets are off and you can cut a hole in the trim to gain the access you need to trigger the latch.
And the better news is that there are plenty of Yarises in wrecking yards waiting to give up their door trim to replace the one you’re about to butcher. And if memory serves, all Yarises had the same colour interior, so finding a matching door trim won’t be too difficult.
Other Toyota Yaris problems
- What cars with high seats and a big boot do you recommend?
- Toyota Yaris 2011 and Honda Jazz 2005: Engine longevity
- Toyota Yaris: Is it suitable for off-road driving?
- Toyota Yaris 2008: Why aren't my brake lights working?
- What is the cheapest Toyota?
- Toyota Yaris: Key replacement
- Which small hatch should I buy for $15,000?
- What's a safe first car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers